How To Detect If You Have Obesity – Learn Your BMI Index.
Many people are overweight. However, how do we know that someone is fat and not just overweight? What is the size and standard for obesity? When is someone obese? Are there ways to prevent obesity?
What is obesity? Obesity is defined as a body that has too much fat. The word obesity comes from the Latin phrase obesus (intense ob meaning and every way to eat). So literally, obesity can mean eating intensively, causing the body to become too fat.
Causes of the most common obesity as follows:
• Inactive lifestyle – modern comfort has caused many people to live in settled lives; working in the office also contributes to an inactive lifestyle
• Inappropriate diets – in these days where fast food is far more comfortable, this has caused people to consume food on trips, sometimes skip breakfast instead of loading high-fat foods to get the energy needed; late at night eating and drinking and increasing food portions have contributed to that problem too.
• Pregnancy – mothers, need to gain weight when they eat for two people. However, some women find it difficult to lose weight after childbirth, which causes obesity when they cannot lose extra weight.
• Inadequate sleep – Lack of sleep can cause hormonal imbalances that cause an increase in appetite and the desire for high-calorie foods that contribute to weight gain.
• Some medications – such as anti-depressants, diabetes medications, steroids and the like can cause weight gain if not supplemented with exercise or the right diet.
• Other medical problems – certain medical conditions can cause weight gain and not just excessive food consumption.
Signs and symptoms
Doctors use standards to measure obesity, and this is the Body Mass Index or BMI. When BMI passes a certain range, then that person is considered obese.
BMI is calculated using the following formula:
BMI = divides the weight in kilograms by height in meters squared
The resulting value is then compared to the chart below to determine whether a person is healthy or is overweight.
Values for the BMI range:
Under 18.5 Weight
18,5 – 24,9 Normal
25,0 – 29,9 Overweight
30.0 and higher Obesity
40.0 and higher Extreme obesity
However, BMI does not measure actual body fat. This is only an indication, and there may be times when some people might be called obesity when in fact they are not. A more accurate measurement is said to be a body fat formula calculator that involves measuring the waist and hips and forearm and wrist with a set of multipliers to estimate body fat.
Different formulas are used for men and women because sex is different in percentage and distribution of body fat. Tests are also done to determine when someone has too much fat or not.